Showing results within 5 miles of zipcode 18966
Search by town:
Search Business Name (4 characters minimum):
1690 Newtown-Langhorne Rd., Newtown, PA 18940
The Tate House, part of the George School campus, was built in 1756 by Anthony Tate. During the Revolutionary War, his son (Dr. James Tate) was a physician and army officer. To keep his surgical skills in good form, Dr. Tate would practice by dissecting
cadavers. On one occasion, he dug up the body of a Hessian soldier and brought the cadaver back to his home laboratory for dissection. Once he was done, he buried the remains of the soldier in a shallow grave dug into the floor of his basement. According to legend, every time one walks over the grave with a lighted candle or flashlight, the flame will blow out or the light will go off. Former owners have complained of not being able to keep the pilot light of water heaters lit.
Growden Mansion (Trevose Manor)
5408 Neshaminy Valley Road, Bensalem, PA 19020
Growden Mansion is named for the family who once owned three quarters of all the land in what is now Bensalem Township. Joseph built a home in the 1680's which was later expanded upon by his son, Lawrence, about 1730. This home was called "Trevose" or
"The Manor of Bensalem". People have claimed to see Ben Franklin flying his kite during thunderstorms, as well as sounds of the Revolutionary War.